Thursday, February 18, 2010

Festivals


Have you ever wonder what's life gonna be if it is without festivals? One word; DULL!

I've always enjoyed festivals. There are plenty of preparations to be done and all the excitement buzzing around you. In Malaysia, we have different festivals for different cultures and religions. In fact, the Chinese New Year just happened a week ago. It is the most important festival for the Chinese as it marks the first day of a brand new year in the Chinese calendar. Every festival has its importance. For the Muslims, we celebrate Hari Raya Haji, Hari Raya Puasa and Awal Muharram. The Indians celebrate Thaipusam and Deepavali while the Chinese other than Chinese New Year, they have Moon Cake-Lantern Festival and Chap Goh Mei. For some races, they would have Hari Gawai and even Harvest Festival.

Festivals remind people of the need to celebrate important events, to colour their lives and most important, to show what are their cultures and religions about. Malaysia is lucky to be a multi-racial country as we can experience different types of festivals.

As for me, I haven't gone back to my village for the last 5 years because most of my family, including grandparents and cousins live in KL. So every year, we celebrate at home without going back to our hometown. It’s kind of sad and boring because the environment in our village is indeed very different from the ones we celebrate here at home. I feel a bit jealous to some of my friends who celebrate back at their village. During the first week of Hari Raya, I only have a few friends to celebrate at home because I have to wait for some of them to come back to KL :(

But it’s not that kind of sad actually because most of my cousins are fun and enjoyable to celebrate with. They’re the ones that actually create a different environment every year and make it more enjoyable to celebrate and the best part of it, I will get some “Duit Raya” from them. However, festivals are not just about getting money but to celebrate it with family and friends by showing that it’s worth having a good time every year. That’s what festivals are for.

3 comments: